Esther's Place

Esther's Place

February 25, 2014

The Story Behind the Picture

If you have visited my Esther's Place shop, you undoubtedly have seen samples of my custom photo jewelry and gifts using this photograph. This young woman is my grandmother Anita Carr Talbott (1917-2013).


This photograph is one of my favorites of her and one I use in many of my sample pieces.  But what you don't know is the story behind the photograph.

The photo dates to 1937 and is actually my grandmother's wedding photo. Like many young girls (women) of her time, she did not wear a fancy white wedding dress. She was from a southern Virginian farming family of modest means and that was an expense just not considered. Instead, she wore a nice dress/suit and hat.  Don't you love the hat!  (I really wish hats were back in style.)

My grandmother passed away this past October at the age of 96.  In the months prior to her death, I interviewed her many times about our family history and the stories behind many of the family photographs. She took one look at the above photo and declared, "I never liked that photo of me!".  I was shocked - everyone in the family loves this photograph. Oops.  Sorry, Grandmom!

Okay, Readers, your turn!

What great story have you learned from a family photograph?