Esther's Place

Esther's Place

September 18, 2013

How a 1950's Photograph Led to a Family Reunion

How a 1950's Photograph Led to a Family Reunion

 This photograph of my great great grandmother Clara Haley was posted on my family genealogy blog Are You My Cousin? back in May 2010. At the end of the post I asked if anyone could identify the man and the boy.


Five months later I received a reply to my query.

 

From my grandmother's first cousin.

 

We exchanged e-mails. 

 

We shared stories and photographs.

 

I was able to interview the matriarch of the family.


Connections were made.

 

Then....this summer my parents and I attended the Haley family reunion in Charlotte County, VA.  This was the first time in over 60 years my father had seen many of these cousins!


All that from a 1950's photograph.


So....my message to you?


Get those family photographs out of the box and share them! 

 

**Note: If you have ancestors in south central Virginia, you may be interested in my genealogy blog Are You My Cousin?. Who knows, you might just find your ancestor there.